Celine is a French blogger who writes some fictional reviews about the books she loves the most and they always make me laugh. I hope the humor even if translated is kept. Thanks for her reviews.
Mortal Instruments, Book 3
Synopsis: To save her mother’s life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters – never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.
As Clary uncovers more about her family’s past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he’s willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City – whatever the cost?
Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.
Disclaimer: « The characters and situations in this story are fictional, any resemblance to existing persons and situations can only be coincidental »
– Can someone explain to me why we’re in a fries shop in a second-class zoo? Johanne grumbles, the nose reddened by the wind that attacks us through the open windows of the room.
– Well, we’re ordering fries, Melliane retorts, her chin barely standing out off the green scarf she wears for the occasion.
I take a look around, preventing as I can my teeth from rattling.
– And it’s not only a fries shop, it is a very friendly restaurant, I say, squirming on that too hard bench, refusing to see the remains of what was formerly a nice fries shop, giving now rather a feel of a bad ride for thrills in a fairground.
Melliane gives me a nudge.
– I know one who forgot her pillow!
Roanne laughs, soon accompanied by Miss Pendergast.
Transformed by my own will, my tongue goes out of my mouth. Not very mature as a reaction I admit it, but it’s all I have in stock at the moment. The cold has frozen my reflexes. My ass carries the legacy of our previous fights.
Le Chat claps her hands to make us pay attention, unless it’s to be warmed up.
In a single movement, we stiffen us. Le Chat is the logistics chief of our group. She is the one who made us come here, for recruitment she told us. But apart from an ostrich who decreed from its enclosure that we offered a show of interest, I have not seen anything very interesting. All animals seem to have entered into hibernation.
– This is serious, she insists. We must act. I do not want this book to end up on the black-list-of-prohibited books.
We all shake our head frantically. None of us has any desire to deliver a book to that accursed list. We sold them at the beginning because of inexperience. We did not know. But that time is over.
Even under torture I will not say how much I loved Volume 3 of The Mortal Instruments series. I will not mention the cloud of butterflies that was stirred in my belly throughout the evolution of the relationship between Clary and Jace, or my tight throat with the growing strength of Valentine. I will not mention this rhythm that characterizes the whole saga, never decreasing, even this humor giving a touch of lightness to the whole, these endearing characters – Simon the first- and the actual topics it presents (how to grow well when one is different, how to take care of ourselves whatever our age, do we earn second chances? …) Yes, I will not mention all this and stoically endure the wrath of the Gods-of-all-the-stuff-of-the-land-and-the-Sea. I’ll suffer the worst torture and my lips will be sealed. I will not participate in this macabre endeavor.
– That’s it, she wanders, Melliane sighs.
Oops, I had to speak out loud, it happens sometimes. Finally, often. I shoot her again the tongue, and keep a concentrated air.
– Well, let’s recap, we need an army to attack the Donjon of the Prohibited Books. This is our new goal. We have Nini as a commando leader, and MissPendergast’s cat second.
The Books-Addicted all nodd.
– And I have a new candidate.
I reach for my cell phone.
Le Chat frowns, and I see her brain moving. She is thinking.
– I already told you that I do not like ostriches? Melliane says suddenly shuddering. There is one that does not stop fixing us.
We turn, the ostrich has not moved one iota, from time to time her beak moves, but nothing more, not even a feather.
– Well, Le Chat spoke of a tiger, so we went to see the tiger of the zoo? Johanne offers visibly pressed to get up.
I can only agree, the look of the ostrich makes shivers down my back. I find it familiar, but I do not count ostrich in my inner circle. Cats, dogs, horses, I also know a goat … But no, no ostrich.
Fatty bleached paper and strewn fly in the alleys of the Zoo while we’re looking for a tiger. Temperatures fell again. Melliane plagues against her too thin tights, and me against the disappearance of my gloves.
– There it is!
Le Chat is doing joyful leaps.
– I knew they had one. And one white.
Indeed, there is a white tiger. Still. Stretched out full length. With less bristle plates. And protruding bones. Yeah … Nini would make a mincemeat of him…
Le Chat wears a big smile.
– Impressive, right?
I’m about to ask her if she wants me to lend her my glasses when I feel that Melliane pats me on the shoulder.
– Uh, guys, I think we’re being followed.
We turn all in a unit that would warm my heart if I did not discover two piercing eyes on us. The ostrich is three meters from us, and its beak seems rather sharp…
PS: I said that I would stop with Volume 3 of this saga, but uh … well … I have book 4 and 5 in my TBR pile. They jumped all alone in my cart, I promise (fingers crossed behind my back.) The first one who says that I am weak, I send him/her Sumi! Oops, hush, ostrich is there …