Hello everyone! My review about Written in Red was published a long time ago but I wanted to share the Céline‘s review, a wonderful person and blogger, as she made me laugh a lot. I can only recommend you to discover her blog (but well French blog, I’m the one who translated it). Thanks to her for agreeing to share her review here.
The Others, Book 1
Synopsis: No one creates realms like New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop. Now in a thrilling new fantasy series, enter a world inhabited by the Others, unearthly entities—vampires and shape-shifters among them—who rule the Earth and whose prey are humans.
As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.
Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.
Disclaimer: “The characters and situations in this story are fictional, any resemblance to existing persons and situations can only be coincidental“
The cold haunting these October evenings is biting my cheeks. I did not dare to put my blue hat, wool makes me want to scratch my head and I did not want others to imagine things. I brought my hands on my knees, and I squirmed on the bench: wood is uncomfortable, and I felt a cramp up in my left buttock.
Melliane stands beside me, her dark scarf wrapping around her neck. Her cheeks are red from the wind. Behind us, the sign of Books-addicts anonymous is flashing. We’re in a hurry, we already have a few minutes late.
– It is bad…. Really bad …
– I know, she said in a companionate way
– No, But it’s true. If Urban Fantasy enters the criteria for the black-banned-books list, where are we going?
I let out a long sigh in despair while Melliane gently pats my arm.
– I told you so …
– I Know … I grumbled.
I can not help but add, sighing even louder:
– But still…. this first volume is so good… a real Urban Fantasy, with quality. An original universe, really well thought out with many details and colors. Various characters fleshed out, that have nothing to do with what I’ve read before, as if the author rewrote the myths. A story slowly built without being boring. It lays the groundwork for what will come after, leaving us the task of assimilating the world. Progressive relationships, evolving from mistrust to trust and where sex is not a central element. For that alone, just for this story, which is shaped on something other than a love relationship, Volume 1 deserves a medal …
– Ah but there is Meg and Simon, right? Melliane cut me frowning. Because Simon is….
I do not let her finish, and nods emphatically.
– Oh yes he is …
– And Meg, she is great too…
– Yes, she is really good. Not stupid, a heroine … But all cute with her demons …
A long silence falls between us. I relive the great moments of this first book, and by the small Melliane’s smile I guess she does the same.
– Well, what do we do?
She shakes her head in an apologetically way.
– I do not know …
– I Can not speak about that at the meeting tonight.
I am determined, no, this is not possible.
– That’s for sure, otherwise the Cerberus-red head will burn it. It should be kept secret, she replies.
– Yes, it should be kept secret.
-Can you not put it where you put the Thoughtless trilogy?
I suppress a shudder, standing up and, mechanically, I rub the right buttock which still bears the memory of that meeting with his horns.
– Well, There is a bull …
– What you have to do is run fast then… she replied with a shrug.
Does she think I’m Usain Bolt or what?
PS: And for the curious ones, I invite you to read the review of Melliane-the-evil-temptress for Volume 2!